Can I Sue a School if My Child Was Bullied or Abused in PA?

Can I Sue a School if My Child Was Bullied or Abused in PA?

If you are a parent of a child who attends public school in Pennsylvania, you most likely worry about the safety of your child, as all parents do. Fortunately, in most cases, children in Pennsylvania are in good hands from the moment they get on the school bus until the moment they arrive home. However, unfortunately, there are times where school districts do not always look out for our children’s’ well-being, and, in the worst cases, they may even contribute to the harm done to our children. This is unacceptable, and if you believe that your child has been physically or mentally abused at school, either by other children or persons of authority, our firm is here to help. Please continue reading and speak with our experienced Pennsylvania students’ rights attorney to learn more about how our firm can help you take legal action on behalf of your child. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What can I do if my child is being bullied by another student?

If your child is being bullied by another student, first and foremost, you are, of course, looking to stop the bullying from occurring. Oftentimes, when bullying is severe and recurring, parents will seek to hold the school district for allowing the bullying to occur. That being said, depending on the specifics of the situation, and the district, this is not always possible.

While school districts are not responsible for the actions of children in most cases, if it can be proven that the school district had knowledge of problems, or knew that there was going to be a fight or instance of bullying and failed to take action to resolve the issue, there is a good chance that as a parent, you can report the incident to the school so it cannot plead ignorance and speak with an experienced attorney today.

Can I sue a school if my child was abused by a teacher?

There is no excuse for a teacher to abuse a child in any way, shape, or form. That is why if your child has been abused by a teacher, you should be able to sue that teacher or school district for the behavior. Some of the most important things to keep in mind when conducting these lawsuits are:

  • The extent of the harmful behavior–what did the teacher do and how often?
  • How long has the behavior gone on?
  • To what extent is your child harmed? What damages did your child incur?

Contact our experienced Pennsylvania firm

Anderson, Converse & Fennick is an experienced law firm in York County, Pennsylvania focusing on Education Law, Family Law, Estate Planning, and Civil Litigation matters. If you need a knowledgeable attorney that will effectively represent your interests, contact Anderson, Converse & Fennick today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What is a NOREP?
  •  Manifestation Determination in Pennsylvania | What You Should Know