How is a 504 Plan Different From an IEP?

How is a 504 Plan Different From an IEP?

Often, school children need special assistance to help them find the greatest possible success in school. If you or the school your child attends believes that your child would benefit from certain educational services, they may want to explore options such as an Individualized Education Program and a 504 Plan. While both of these options exist to help children overcome challenges at school, there are certain requirements that a student must meet to determine which is best for his or her situation.

What is an Individualized Education Plan?

When a child has a disability, they may need special education services in school. An Individualized Education Plan (IEP) may need to be created in an effort to help the child succeed. To be eligible for an IEP in Pennsylvania, a student must meet certain requirements. First, the child must fall under one of the 13 disability categories listed in the IDEA, including intellectual disability, traumatic brain injury, hearing impairment, speech or language impairment, visual impairment, autism, emotional disturbance, orthopedic impairment, deafness, deaf-blindness, specific learning disability, multiple disabilities, or another health impairment. Additionally, the child must have the need for specifically designed instruction.

What is a 504 Plan?

Section 504 allows students who are not eligible for an IEP to receive special education services for physical or mental impairments. To be eligible for a 504 plan, a student must demonstrate that their performance in school has been significantly limited by a physical or mental impairment. Some of the ways that a parent may be able to prove this need is through evaluations, doctors’ notes, grades, teacher recommendations, and more. Some of the reasons that a child may need a 504 plan include:

  • ADHD, making it difficult for the student to finish assignments on time
  • Serious or chronic illness that requires regular treatment
  • Deafness, requiring an interpreter

Of course, there are a variety of reasons that a student may need a 504 plan. If you have questions about either a 504 plan or an IEP, contact our firm today.

Anderson, Converse & Fennick is an experienced law firm in York County, Pennsylvania focusing on Education Law, Family Law, Estate Planning, and Civil Litigation matters. If you need a knowledgeable attorney that will effectively represent your interests, contact Anderson, Converse & Fennick today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What is a NOREP?
  •  Manifestation Determination in Pennsylvania | What You Should Know