What Do I Need to Know About 504 Plans in Pennsylvania?

What Do I Need to Know About 504 Plans in Pennsylvania?

As children grow older, one of their parents’ biggest concerns is that their child is receiving the appropriate education they need and deserve in order to become successful. In the event that a child has a disability, they may need modified day-to-day schooling so that their needs are properly met. This can include anything from extra time to finish assignments to the school district paying for the child to attend specialized private schooling. 

While some students with disabilities may qualify for an Individualized Education Program (IEP), others may not. In these situations, it is important to know that the child can still receive certain services under a different law known as Section 504. If you believe your child has been denied their right to a 504 plan, contact an experienced students’ rights attorney today for guidance in your case.

What is a 504 Plan?

 A civil rights law, known as Section 504, allows students to receive the special education services that they need in the event that they are not eligible for an IEP. This is possible under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. If a physical or mental impairment makes it difficult for a child to be successful in school, there are certain accommodations that can be made to benefit them. This is done with a 504 plan. 

It is important to know that, as not every student’s situation is the same as others, every 504 plan is different from one another. There are a variety of reasons as to why a child may need a 504 plan in the state of Pennsylvania. This can include but is not limited to the following:

  • The child requires medication for physical or mental impairments that limits their activities and may need to be excused to take medication when needed
  • The child has a serious or chronic illness that requires regular treatment
  • The child requires additional time to complete assignments as a result of depression, anxiety, ADHD, or other issues
  • The child is deaf and needs an interpreter
  • The child cannot write and needs another person to take notes for them

Is my Child Eligible for a 504 Plan?

When a child is denied an IEP, parents often wonder if their child is eligible to receive educational assistance through a 504 plan. It is important to know that, in order to receive a 504 plan, the state of Pennsylvania requires the child to demonstrate that a physical or mental impairment puts a significant limitation on their performance at school. This can be proven through doctors’ notes, evaluations, school records, student grades, teacher recommendations, and more. A request for a 504 plan should be in writing to the school. Once the school receives it, a meeting can be scheduled to discuss the child’s qualifications.

Contact our Firm

Anderson, Converse & Fennick is an experienced law firm in York County, Pennsylvania focusing on Education Law, Family Law, Estate Planning, and Civil Litigation matters. If you need a knowledgeable attorney that will effectively represent your interests, contact Anderson, Converse & Fennick today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What is a NOREP?
  •  Manifestation Determination in Pennsylvania | What You Should Know