York County NOREP Attorney


NOREP Attorneys in York, PA

If your child has an Individualized Education Program (IEP), it may have to be revisited or modified to accommodate his or her needs as he or she progresses. Once the IEP has been developed, the Local Education Agency should send you a Notice of Recommended Educational Placement/Prior Written Notice, also known as the NOREP/PWN. When you receive that NOREP, you need to act within 10 days. If you do not agree with the actions being taken regarding your child’s IEP, you may need to consult with an experienced education law attorney. If you need strong and compassionate legal representation to ensure your child is getting the required educational services, contact Anderson, Converse & Fennick today.

What is a NOREP/PWN?

If you are going through the IEP process for the first time you may find yourself confused by the forms and alphabet soup surrounding special education. Before a school district is permitted to make changes to your child’s education program, the district must issue a Notice of Recommending Educational Placement (NOREP). The form gives you 10 days to indicate whether you agree or disagree with the district’s proposal. Sometimes, parents feel pressured to respond to a NOREP at the time of the IEP meeting. It is important to be aware that you have up to 10 days to decide whether you would like to approve or reject the Notice. The NOREP should include information such as:

  • What actions, if any, the school will take regarding your child’s IEP
  • Why the school is choosing this course of action
  • What other options were considered, and why they chose the option they did
  • The school’s reason for refusing to take action, if applicable
  • The placement that the school is proposing for your child, as well as the types of support the child will receive

There are a number of different scenarios that require you to receive a NOREP regarding your child, some of which include:

  • If you have requested a change in your child’s placement or support
  • If the school refuses to evaluate your child upon your request
  • If the school believes that special education is no longer necessary for your child
  • If the school wishes to make changes to your child’s IEP
  • If the school believes that an IEP should be implemented for the first time

Individualized Education Program Rejections

If you wish to reject the changes to your child’s IEP, it is important to check the box on the NOREP stating that you do not approve of the program or placement. This must be done within 10 days of receiving the IEP. If you do not disagree within 10 days, the District is permitted to adopt the proposal described in the NOREP. You have the right to disagree later, but the changes will be in effect during the dispute. If you return the NOREP marked that you disagree with the plan, you will be given the opportunity to go to mediation. You can also ask for a due process hearing. It may be beneficial to retain an attorney if you disagree with the school’s offer.

Should you go to mediation?

Attorneys are not permitted in mediation. If you go, you will face a group of school district professionals who probably have attended numerous mediations. If you felt intimidated at earlier meetings, mediation may not be the best course of action for you. If you agree with a plan and return the NOREP marked “I approve this recommendation,” but later decide that the new plan isn’t working, you may request further changes. Changes can be requested at any time.

Contact a Pennsylvania NOREP Attorney

We understand that you want to do everything you can to make sure your child gets the special education services and support he or she deserves. If you have never gone through the IEP process, it can be overwhelming and confusing. If you disagree with the school’s choice on how to proceed with your child’s education plan, you may need to obtain legal representation to fight on behalf of the child’s needs. Contact Anderson, Converse & Fennick today to discuss your situation and learn how we can help.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What is a NOREP?
  •  Manifestation Determination in Pennsylvania | What You Should Know